Thoughts on Cycling in Switzerland
Switzerland is shockingly and amazingly mis-marketed to the cyclo-tourist. I think this is because the Tour de France gets the most attention informs what we cyclists think are the gold standards of cycling climbs. Let me just say as a cyclist who has ridden a lot of the big climbs in France, the challenges of Switzerland are much greater than in France or anywhere I can think.
Switzerland in a nutshell for cyclists
- Epic and unequaled beauty
- It’s more expensive than most of Europe
- The food and coffee are just okay
- The people speak English well but are reserved
- The climbs are huge, the roads are excellent, and there is little traffic
- Bonus: You may chase down Fabian Cancellara
You can cover a lot of the biggest and best climbs in a hub-and-spoke manner from just a few base camps. Bring your A-game because the Swiss Alps will kick your ass.